Author Topic: I've got a bit of a problem and am wondering if anyone can help please  (Read 4151 times)

Offline markyg

Hi all, thanks for having a look at my post.

I have a website and a webmail service from qiq
They recently upgraded the servers and I had problems accessing my mail on Roundcube, as it kept on loosing contact with the server. This was eventually fixed but I now am missing certain folders with important mail and my whole address book has dissapeared.
After a few conversations with tech support with QIQ they have said;

"Thank you for your ticket. The way roundcube manages its databases has caused the removal of information from the address book, and as roundcube is third party software, we have no control over how it functions as we don't write the script."

I'm reasonably tech savy   but not completely tech savy. Is the above correct? As I had no problems until they upgraded the servers then my webmail crashed and all my email addresses are now lost.
Is it a roundcube problem or a web host problem?

I'm a bit annoyed as I work in the charity sector enabling people with mental health and emailing clients are the main point of contact (I should have backed them up - my fault), but Im just a bit annoyed and am wondering if there is anything I can do?.. luckily I have most of the emails and I can rebuild the lists from there (hours of work), but I'm wondering where the buck stops, qiq have always been very helpful in sorting any problems out and have a good webservice but this is highly annoying.

any ideas?

mark

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
The answer is "partially", Roundcube does control the address book but wouldn't have anything to do with the missing folders. Check the Roundcube database to see if the contacts are still in the database, most likely a new user record was created when the mail server switch happened. As far as the missing folders all I can recommend is to check the folders list in the settings and see if your not subscribed the folders that are missing.

Offline markyg

Thanks SKaero for the info.

I'll have a delve into things and see whats going on....what a complete faffing mare

Offline markyg

subscribed to the folders at least I know what to do there... So its going to be a case of rebuilding the email list from all my emails about 450 of them (luckily they are saved in folders by agencies) and then downloading a back up copy...

ugg

But before that how do you go about checking the roundcube database?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:32:33 AM by markyg »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
Did you install Roundcube or are you using a system setup by someone else?

Offline markyg

Hi Skaero

the hosting package I have includes website space and email... I haven't down loaded anything or installed anything. 

I access my email via cpanel (http://www........co.uk/cpanel) after a couple of screens and password logins  I have a choice of 3 email readers/services I can use,
http://i58.tinypic.com/mtugia.jpg

I've always clicked roundcube as I like it - simple and easy to use

Thats how I get to my email. no outlook etc just log on online via this way, as I work from multiple locations its easy for me to get to my mail.

Is my email stored on my webhosting companies servers or not?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
In that case the host is holding everything, without there cooperation you can't do to recover the address book. I'd recommend finding a new host.

Offline markyg

Thanks Skaero for your help.

I am going to write a letter of complaint to them tomorrow and take it from there.

mark