Author Topic: The Holy Grail of Webmail (v2.0)  (Read 7226 times)

Offline resaturate

The Holy Grail of Webmail (v2.0)
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:17:17 PM »
Lately I've been tied to my own machine for so long I've only occasionally needed webmail but that's soon to change so I've updated my Roundcube installations and I'm ready to roll. I'd forgotten just how good it was and I'm rediscovering it. I've even got a SVN version running and that's looking good too. Anyway, not to ramble, I notice in my absence that this forum seems to have lost a lot of its history. Maybe it collapsed a while back? On the older version I started a feature request topic called "The Holy Grail of Webmail" and, since it's now no longer there I thought I'd re-post the nub of it to see if any new users liked the idea. I'm not sure this shouldn't be in the CVS Requests section, but it fits here too.

Most of my list seems to be underway. I wanted collapsible folders and the like. I see that there are early gestures towards things like that, so I'm sure those little things will come along the way. My main request was the one people discussed in the old forum and would be "The Holy Grail of Webmail".

The request is to be able to have multiple email accounts available at the same time in one Roundcube session.

I mean, just like in Thunderbird or any other installed desktop client I should be able to open Roundcube and access multiple, separate mailboxes across different servers all in one place. That way using webmail would be just like being at home. I don't need to run seven instances of Thunderbird to access all my accounts do I? I should be able to add different accounts too, like Gmail etc as well as normal IMAP, just like the desktop clients do. The Roundcube Folders column might look just like my attachment.

I can see dependencies here: the database for one would need to be expanded as would the config scripts. Or the config might need to move into the database. The left column would need to be far more flexible, but it can't be unachievable. Can it?

What other webmail clients do this? None. That's The Holy Grail of Webmail.

(With apologies for the length of this post and to the poor bastards that read it the first time.)

Mark.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: The Holy Grail of Webmail (v2.0)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:05:58 PM »
Well I like your ideas, There was a plug-in for the folder tree, But I don't know were it when. As for the folder list being more flexible it can be, it just needs to be done. Now why the board has lost so mush data was because in June of 2006 the sever the the forum was on crashed and lost all of its data, and is having to be rebuilt, thank for re-posting.

Offline Razvan

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 07:27:18 AM »
This is a great idea.
A tree-view menu is more than useful !
What about another point of view ? What about implementing filters ? Is that so I've got a new mail from X, The RoundCube should move that mail to the folder associated to X automatically. Can be this done ?

Offline miseryshining

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:39:50 AM »
I actually do have several email accounts listed in roundcube, it's pretty easy if you use a machine running as a 24/7 server at home. Mine picks up mail from all accounts every 3 minutes and dumps it in seperate maildirs. Roundcube reads from these. Getmail and Dovecot made it a breeze to setup, perfect!

Offline Akerbos

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 04:12:01 PM »
Yep, sounds useful.