Author Topic: Spam Filter not working?  (Read 4812 times)

Offline cwdz

Spam Filter not working?
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:21:13 AM »
I use the garbage can icon to move messages to/mark them as spam. However, future messages from the same address still to into my in-box.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance

Offline rosali

Re: Spam Filter not working?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:36:56 AM »
Roundcube is an email client. It does not filter/score your emails. You need to configure a backend for that purpose (f.e. markasjunk plugin + Spamassassin).
Regards,
Rosali

Offline cwdz

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:07:12 PM »
thank you for your reply. I either might have misspoke or don't understand the button at the top of the RoundCube inbox.

There is a green icon that allows me to "Mark as Junk" which deletes/moves the email to the junk folder. When I do that on Outlook, it "marks" those emails and routes them to the Junk folder in the future.

That "rule" doesn't happen in RoundCube. So am I mistaken as to what that icon should do?

Thank you and sorry for being dense!

Chris

Offline rosali

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 01:15:23 PM »
This button comes from 'markasjunk' plugin and there is nothing more to say as already said.
Regards,
Rosali

Offline cwdz

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:19:08 PM »
Thank you for your condescending reply, rosali.

I won't bother asking what the plug in should do differently than it advertises, as I am obviously just a menial user in your eyes who is too stupid to know why a plug-in arrives unasked-for that doesn't apparently work, or maybe it works perfectly.

Have a wonderful day spreading your intelligence to unworthy sods such as I.

Chris

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 09:26:30 AM »
The garbage can icon you mention in your first post is the delete icon, the green one you mention later is from the markasjunk plugin.

The markasjunk plugin which is distributed with Roundcube simply moves messages into your Junk folder and that’s it. You mentioned the Junk function in Outlook. Outlook is a much more powerful thing than Roundcube but the functions are specific to Outlook - so if you mark a message as Junk in Outlook it’s only going to pick up other messages that are like that as Junk if Outlook is running.

Using the markasjunk plugin then you might move messages into your Junk folder but then run something like sa-learn on all those mesasges via a cron script on the server periodically to update your junk filters. With the server doing the filtering then your mail is the same everywhere. Of course not everyone uses SpamAssassin or sa-learn, that’s just one option. The markasjunk plugin has no way of knowing what your setup is and so all it can do is put them into the Junk folder.

There is another plugin called markasjunk2 which is an extended version of markasjunk. It still relies on the server doing the junk filtering but it has options for different "drivers" to tell your server about the junk message and also tell it that messages it thought were junk actually aren’t.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…