Author Topic: Message grouping - by date?  (Read 6195 times)

Offline tshadwick

Message grouping - by date?
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »
I'd noticed that tagging is a feature that's coming, which is great. There's a feature that was recently added to Thunderbird that I'm absolutely lost without, and I don't know how difficult it is to implement in Roundcube.

In Thunderbird, if you click View, Sort By, Date, this is obvious enough, and most people use it anyway. The trick is then to click on View again, and at the bottom there are three options:

Threaded, Unthreaded, Grouped By Sort.

That last one is what is awesome. If you click that, then you have a disclosure triangle next to Today, Yesterday, Last Week, Two Weeks Ago, and Old Mail. :)

Makes keeping track of things much nicer, and I think it probably goes hand-in-hand with tagging, but not neccessarily. If the sorting logic is independant of the tags, you can sort by information already there, and then just group it.

The options Thunderbird provides as sort-by, just as an example are:

Date
Flag
Order Received
Priority
Sender
Recipient
Size
Status
Subject
Label (Tag?)
Junk Status
Attachments

Sorts are always fun, I know, but sorting logic is probably already in the works (if not completed?), which leaves basically rendering code to display it by group rather than in a single list. Just wondered what the thoughts there are....since the plugin API isn't ready yet, we're somewhat at your mercy.

Love the work you guys are doing so far. :D Keep it up!

Offline tshadwick

Re: Message grouping - by date?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:22:31 AM »
Ugh. I posted this in the wrong forum. If a moderator would be so kind as to move it so I'm not double posting I would appreciate it!