Author Topic: RC Without Local SMTP server  (Read 4382 times)

Offline ghowey

RC Without Local SMTP server
« on: August 11, 2015, 02:31:26 PM »
For quiet some time I have used RC for webmail for our non-profit. Running our own email server has become very troublesome, continuously being blasted by spammers as of late. We decided to move our email elsewhere and keep our custom install of RC. There in is where the problem lies. Even though RC is configured to communicate with remote email server apparently it requires a local SMTP server to function?

Thanks in Advance!

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: RC Without Local SMTP server
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »
Roundcube doesn't require a local SMTP server, you should be able to configure SMTP to point to the remote server in the config file.

Offline ghowey

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:25:24 PM »
That's what I thought. I did so and turned off the local server and get a this error when trying to send mail "SMTP Error (-1): Connection to server failed." If I turn the local server back on all is well. Configuration appears straight forward. Would you mind taking a look at my configuration file and see if I overlooked anything?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:40:37 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with your config, is there anymore detail in Roundcube logs?

Offline ghowey

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
Shortened to the one repeated error!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:02:17 PM by ghowey »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
Very odd, I don't see any reason why it should be trying to connect to the local SMTP server everything looks like its configured correct for a remote. Can you telnet to the remote SMTP server from the server?