Author Topic: Slashes in folder names, how to allow?  (Read 4330 times)

Offline ais781

Slashes in folder names, how to allow?
« on: December 21, 2015, 09:28:49 AM »
Hello:

We are using Roundcube (currently on 1.0.3) with Dovecot and recently the issue with subfolders came up.  We are using mbox and existing subfolders are working fine in Roundcube.  However, when users go to create a new parent folder, in order to put subfolders inside of it, they cannot create an empty parent folder as Roundcube wants to create a mail directory every time.  The Dovecot forum says to create a new folder as "parentfolder/newsubfolder" for a new mail folder, or "parentfolder/" to create an empty folder, however Roundcube will not allow the forward slash and gives the error "Folder name contains a forbidden character. (/)". 

So my question is, is there a way to allow forward slashes?  I've combed through the forums and found that Roundcube supports subfolders, but did not see anything that mentions creating new folders.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:34:35 AM by ais781 »

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Slashes in folder names, how to allow?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 10:19:29 AM »
enter the name without the /
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline ais781

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »
enter the name without the /

Thanks for the reply.  If I enter the name without the slash, it creates a regular mail folder, not an empty one, so the users are not then able to create subfolders underneath it.

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 11:41:47 AM »
I dont know what you mean by a regular mail folder, not an empty one. Surely its empty because you only just made it. Then you select that one and click the add folder button again and it should be already selected as the parent, if not just select it.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline ais781

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 02:02:36 PM »
I dont know what you mean by a regular mail folder, not an empty one. Surely its empty because you only just made it. Then you select that one and click the add folder button again and it should be already selected as the parent, if not just select it.

What I meant by a regular mail folder is that it creates the folder to hold mail, and it won't let me create subfolders within it.  When I try to create a subfolder within it, I get the error "An error occurred while saving.".  When I look on the filesystem in the user's home directory, the new folder I created is a file, so it is set to hold mail in it, and I'm sure is why Roundcube won't let me create a subfolder within it.  The Dovecot documentation says to create the new folder with the "/" slash in the name, to create an empty folder which cannot hold mail but can hold subfolders.  This will create an empty folder in the user's home directory.  I just can't get around the issue by letting Roundcube use slashes in the name.

Thanks again for the help.  Hopefully there is a way to use Roundcube to do this.

Offline alec

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 02:32:31 AM »
I'm afraid this is not supported. http://trac.roundcube.net/ticket/1488882 You could probably fix it by not using mbox format for mail storage.