Author Topic: Emails Being Marked as Read  (Read 5736 times)

Offline WilliamH4

Emails Being Marked as Read
« on: August 26, 2023, 03:51:24 AM »
It's late and I'm frustrated and tired. If I started this in the wrong place, I apologize.

I'm really confused about who I'm supposed to contact about what I can't figure out how to do. This is probably the wrong place too, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction. We use Bluehost for our email provider, at least I think we do. Getting a straight answer from someone on chat with Bluehost is like pulling a tooth. I'm trying to set Outlook up on a new computer. When emails are received in Outlook on the new computer, they are marked as read within 30-40 seconds. No matter what I changed in Outlook, I could not prevent this from happening. I noticed one difference between my new computer and the old computer is, Outlook is set up as IMAP on the new computer. The old computer is POP. I prefer to keep the new computer set up as it is, IMAP. After doing some trouble shooting online, I think it's because the new computer's Outlook is set up as IMAP, is why my emails are being marked as read after a few seconds. So I logged in to webmail to see if there are settings to change there. Again, as far as I know, we use Bluehost for our email provider. If I log in to Bluehost, I'm directed to Roundcube to check emails. Within Roundcube, I can choose to never mark emails as read. When I choose this option, it's not working. My incoming emails are still being marked as read in Roundcube a few seconds after arriving. Of course, those same emails are also being marked as read shortly after being received in Outlook. If I manually change an email back to unread from within Roundcube, it changes to unread in Outlook shortly after. I need to figure out how to keep the messages unread as they come in to Roundcube. However, as I think I understand, Roundcube is just a client? There's a setting at the email provider that's alos affecting the emails coming into Roundcube?

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Emails Being Marked as Read
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 04:26:00 AM »
You are correct Roundcube is just a client and you said you have already changed the setting in Roundcube which marks emails as read on preview.

I can offer you one hint though, you said your old computer uses POP3. It sounds like its configured to leave a copy of the message on the server when it downloads new messages. I think this might be the cause. When the POP3 client downloads the message its marking it as read on the server. Try disabling your POP3 client.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and moreā€¦

Offline WilliamH4

Re: Emails Being Marked as Read
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 10:18:09 AM »
That was the problem! Never crossed my mind the POP3 was the reason. I've had Outlook on the new computer and the old computer open at the same time, the entire time I was setting up. Thank you. I have been trying to figure this out for several hours.