Author Topic: Android Phone unable to open attachments when using Roundcube app  (Read 4774 times)

Offline Webweed

I have an One Plus Nord N20 phone and unlike my previous android, I am unable to open the attachments I receive via my mobile phone.  Is this a limitation of the Roundcube app or possibly a limitation of my android phone itself?  It is causing a lot of grief and I want to determine the best path forward so I don't have to wait until I get to my computer to see attachments when I am on the go.

Thank you for your help and clarity in this matter :)

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Android Phone unable to open attachments when using Roundcube app
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 04:14:42 AM »
Can you provide any detail on what it is doing?

Offline Webweed

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 11:10:24 AM »
Essentially what it is not doing is opening the attachment (image, pdf, etc) which can normally be viewed on the phone when you click on the associated link in the email on the android phone.  I recall it working on the older samsung.  Give me a couple of days and I will share more.

Offline Webweed

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 02:50:28 PM »
I am going to attempt to replicate this on an android Tablet but essentially this is it:

When a user clicks on the Attachment a popup appears with the following options:
1. Download
2. Open Attachment

In many cases #2 is greyed out and prevents the user from viewing the attachment.  I have attempted to add apps to allow files to be viewable but in many cases this doesn't seem to work.
When the user selects #1, it claims the file is downloaded and saved but the file is not findable.

Any thoughts about either of these two options would be appreciated as my Android user is the one experiencing this difficulty. :(

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 07:41:57 PM »
It sounds like the browser doesn't support the mimetypes of the attachments. Have you tried other Android browsers like Chrome to see if it works there? When you download the file where do you get a notification that the file has downloaded?

Offline Webweed

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 11:22:54 AM »
Its not the browser, it is the roundcube app.  I have installed it on my android tablet for sanity sakes now and I get the same results but I think the bigger frustration is the fact the app says it downloads a file but I am pretty sure it hits /dev/null if it actually does do the task because it is nowhere to be found.  I will give it a try on Chrome as well and see what odd behaviors I find there as well. :). At the same time, I am wondering if anyone uses a specific app to access their email outside of the roundcube app and Google's gmail app.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 02:05:08 PM »
There is no official Roundcube app in the iOS App Store or the Android play store. I wouldn't trust any such app since some third party could have access to your email if you use their app. I would suggest only accessing Roundcube on your phone from browser.