Author Topic: Setting user passwords over SSH  (Read 454 times)

Offline IGIT

Setting user passwords over SSH
« on: February 23, 2024, 07:20:14 AM »
Hi,

First post on this forum, please accept apologies if in the wrong place. We've just had to move our RC install to another server, and this server is not the mail server any more. Everything works except setting the user password via RC's Settings.

My understanding is that this use the password plugin, but nothing I set in the config.inc.php makes any difference, including setting logging to true. Is there something I have to do to reload the plugin's settings? Nothing about the failure is showing up in any RC logs, so I'm a bit in the dark.

The issue we have is that remote access to the MySQL database has been configured to go over SSH, SSL doesn't seem to work. I don't know how to configure SSL and I don't want to mess, too much, with the mail server's MySQL configuration. Will RC do MySQL access over SSH?

Many thanks,

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Re: Setting user passwords over SSH
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 09:20:28 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by access mysql over ssh but you'll need to change the password plugin settings in <RC root>/plugins/password/confic.inc.php

Offline IGIT

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 10:43:34 AM »
That's what I thought but changing the settings doesn't seem to do anything. I turned logging on but not log file is created. There's nothing in any of the system logs. Do I need to reactivate the plugin or reload its setting in some way?

There's an option to use SSL, but I don't think this is what I want. My MySQL client connect to the database server over SSH. I think it's an SSH tunnel through which, on the remote end, it just connects using localhost on the standard MySQL port. Is this the same as SSL?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 01:09:01 PM »
The error log should be in <RC root>/logs/errors

If you need to use mysql through a tunnel you'll have to setup the tunnel binding for it to work: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/464317/connect-to-a-mysql-server-over-ssh-in-php