Author Topic: Special Folder Naming and Auto-subscribe  (Read 579 times)

Offline bmac

Special Folder Naming and Auto-subscribe
« on: March 04, 2024, 01:07:27 PM »
Hi all,
I run a roundcube instance for a few thousand people. I have the special folders set up with Trash mapped as the deleted messages folder. This works great, until someone's mail client (Thunderbird/Outlook/etc) creates a differently named trash folder such as Deleted Items or Deleted.

Since we limit their mailbox size, we sometimes get users calling in about their mailbox being full, even after they've deleted all messages. Most of the time the messages are hidden in roundcube because the Deleted Items folder is not subscribed, so they don't see the folder, and the default Trash folder is empty.

Is there a way to tell roundcube to display all IMAP folders instead of the user having to go into settings and subscribe?

Thanks!

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
Re: Special Folder Naming and Auto-subscribe
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2024, 03:38:12 PM »
Is there a way to tell roundcube to display all IMAP folders instead of the user having to go into settings and subscribe?
Have a look at the subscriptions_option plugin shipped with Roundcube, this enables or disables the use of imap subscriptions.

By the way, assuming your IMAP server supports it, you might want to look at the special-use IMAP extension. With this the IMAP server tells the client which folders to use for junk, deleted etc rather than them creating their own and means the behaviour is the same across different cleints.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…

Offline bmac

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 04:56:55 PM »
Thanks @JohnDoh. I have the subscriptions_option enabled and
Code: [Select]
$config['dont_override'] = ['use_subscriptions']; turned on. Searching around on the forums, it seems others have tried to force subscribe users to all folders with little success, so maybe this is simply a case of teaching end-users how to enable non-subscribed folders.

I'll take a look at our IMAP server and see if there is a special-use IMAP extension. Would you mind expanding on how this might help Roundcube "check the box" automatically for folders which are not currently subscribed?

Thanks!

Offline JohnDoh

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 04:23:58 AM »
The subscriptions_option plugin works fine for me. Lets confirm you setup.

You have added subscriptions_option to your `$config['plugins']` array. You have set `$config['use_subscriptions'] = false;` to disable the use of subscriptions and then you added `use_subscriptions` to your `$config['dont_override']` array to prevent the user from changing this setting?

If you are currently logged in your will need to logout and back in again once you have set `$config['use_subscriptions'] = false;`

I'll take a look at our IMAP server and see if there is a special-use IMAP extension. Would you mind expanding on how this might help Roundcube "check the box" automatically for folders which are not currently subscribed?
I don't know how much difference it will make to existing users but think of it like this. When a client connects to the server the server tells it "use x folder for deleted, y folder for junk, etc" the client will show those folder and use them as instructed rather than creating its own. The user can override it and configure the client to use the folders they want but its provides a default which would be the same across clients to save the user doing it manually.
Roundcube Plugins: Contextmenu, SpamAssassin Prefs, and more…