Author Topic: Roundcube Mail alerts - Please!!  (Read 3191 times)

Offline JasonB

Roundcube Mail alerts - Please!!
« on: July 21, 2008, 04:46:33 AM »
Hi

I use Webmail on a Inetrobots hosting package, however i would very much like to have a pop up which alerts me that I have got mail. I'm tired off checking my emails all the time!!
I can't see on the forum any plugins for it, please can you let me kniow where I can get one.
Another idea what about a RSS/Atom feed for email alerts for aggregators like netvibes etc.

Many thanks
Jason

Offline bpat1434

• Administrator
Roundcube Mail alerts - Please!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 09:04:50 AM »
Well, with the rss/atom feed you have the chance for a security issue cropping up.  How can you validate across an RSS/Atom feed?  How do we know that your info is secure?  If we give you a 32-character private key, how safe is it?  Do we then need to use SSL (which not everyone has) to communicate?

As for a pop-up, that would be a plugin for the browser; however, you'd still need the credentials which brings us back to the security issue :(

Maybe, just mabye one day there will be something, but currently there isn't.  I could see an Adobe Air plugin being created as part of the RC distro that will update as long as there is a valid session in a browser.  So you'd have to keep your webmail up in a browser somewhere (like a tab) and just ignore it until you see that pop-up.

That's the only way I can see it happening it is to have an Adobe Air plugin.  Sounds like a fun mini-project for someone ;)