Author Topic: Sent attachements cannot always be opened  (Read 3254 times)

Offline tofinoguy

Sent attachements cannot always be opened
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:40:35 AM »
Hello,

Currently using 0.2 stable. Generally everything works well, however I have had the occassional problem with attachments.

A collegue just sent an Excel 2007 attachment to a number of addresses using RC. However the attachment seems to not have embedded itself correctly into the email. The attachment was not received in RC or Outlook; rather the email contained what appeared to be a "broken image" with a cid number in the body. The same is shown in her sent mail. Curiously, I was able to open the attachment using Wordperfect Mail.

Sending the file a second time resulted in the same behaviour. Eventually, it was sent using Outlook with no issues.

I have had similar reports in the past but it has been so intermittent I never looked into things further. This would have been with previous version of RC. Wondering where to start looking to find a solution?

Offline rosali

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:53:53 AM »
Best would be, if you could post (or if it is private PM'me) the mail source code and the Excel sheet.

Also you could check which kind of attachment handling is set in the user prefs. Since v0.2 there are three option how RoundCube should attach a file.
Regards,
Rosali

Offline tofinoguy

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 02:07:54 AM »
rosali,

I would prefer not to send the file unless as a last resort as it is confidential data.
Regarding the attachment handling, I am not very familiar with the different options and could not find an explanation on the forum anywhere. Perhaps someone could detail the three options?

Regards.

Offline rosali

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 05:06:36 AM »
Try option #2 - Thunderbird default!
Regards,
Rosali

Offline tofinoguy

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 11:27:18 PM »
Sorry I didn't provide any follow up at the time. In order to assist anyone looking into this issue in the future, I ended up resolving this issue by playing around in the account.

-I changed language from English-UK to English-US.
-I removed a folder which contained garbage characters in the name.
-I removed a broken image in the users' signature.

I'm not sure which of the above was causing the issue but I was able to resend the attachment (correctly) after that.

Offline chkamb

Office Attachements not displayed correctly
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 05:56:18 AM »
I can observe the same problem. We use RoundCube as our E-Mail platform, accessing it mostly via Thunderbird or Outlook as e-mail clients.
When we are outside of our office we use the webmailer function of RoundCube. When we send e-mails with Office files as attachements from the RoundCube webmailer, then they are being received (with the email clients) "corrupted" - the file names are being displayed correctly (e.g. name.doc) but the file symbol is the symbol for a text file. So if we try to open the filed directly from the email client they are being opened with a text editor where - of course - they appear damaged. If the files are being saved to the desktop/stick/hard drive and then opened everything is OK.

Just made another test: I tried also OpenOffice douments and the problem is the same. There are no problems with pdf documents..
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:13:32 AM by chkamb »