Author Topic: spam "safey" feature request  (Read 5277 times)

Offline listlizard

spam "safey" feature request
« on: February 18, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »
Hi again,

I have have one more feature request to mention today.  This one has to do with spam "safety".

Regardless of what type of spam tools one may have set up, it's inevitable that some spam is going to reach ones inbox.  The only way to deal with it right now in RC is to select it and then hit delete.  If you have the preview pane open then this causes the spam message to be displayed.  With external links disabled this is usually not a major problem but it's still likely better to avoid this if at all possible.  Also, if you're reading your email in a potentially sensitive location (at work, for example), a spam might have content that you'd prefer not to have displayed on your screen even for just a moment.

Thunderbird (my usual email client) has a column in the message list that shows "spam status".  If I see a spam message in the list I can click on that status icon.  This marks the message as spam and Thunderbird immediately moves it to the spam box *without* displaying it.

I would like to see something similar in RC.  Perhaps not a "spam status" column like TB (TB does it's own spam filtering so this makes sense for it but perhaps not for RC) but perhaps instead a small delete icon on each row or something similar?

I think this is a fairly important feature and I hope the devs will give this some thought.

Thanks!

~ray

Offline dano

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:31:42 PM »
Hello again Ray,

This is really only a problem with remote images embedded into the emails.  In preferences you can set Inline images to display from known senders or never.

Additionally you can set this as the default in main.inc.php

Code: [Select]
// display remote inline images
// 0 - Never, always ask
// 1 - Ask if sender is not in address book
// 2 - Always show inline images
$rcmail_config['show_images'] = 1;

Hope that helps,

Dan

Offline listlizard

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:02:26 PM »
Hi again dano and thanks again for the tip.  I am aware of that however and I do have that option set.

It doesn't address my other concern though regarding inappropriate content showing on your screen.  Such content doesn't come only in images and fonts can be LARGE and easily seen across the room by co-workers and bosses.  :)

Perhaps it would be better to call this a privacy issue.

~ray