Author Topic: IMAP for Dummies  (Read 4402 times)

Offline jmeander

IMAP for Dummies
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:48:16 AM »
Anybody have a clear, non-esoteric reference for understanding folders and IMAP? I've Googled and am more confused than ever.

Currently, I have my users working with an old Squirrelmail install. I've installed RoundCube, hand-imported their personal address books, added global contacts -- everything's ready to flip the switch, except for my idiocy about IMAP folders and 'special' folders and 'subscriptions.' Everything's worked fine for years and so I've never had to look into it; it ain't broke so I'm not fixin' it.

Many (most?) of my users have two sets of folders: Junk, Sent, Drafts, Inbox, plus INBOX_Junk, INBOX_Sent, INBOX_Drafts, etc.  Why is that? Do they need two sets? Can I delete those INBOX_xxx folders and just have them work with one set?

These are very unsophisticated users, btw, and not checking multiple servers or anything tricky whatsoever.

~J

Offline rosali

IMAP for Dummies
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:30:41 AM »
Delete INBOX_xxx folders and login again. If they are auto-created again, you have to adjust ./config/main.inc.php.
Regards,
Rosali

Offline jmeander

IMAP for Dummies
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:25:52 AM »
Thanks. I think I need to check my server (CPanel, WHM) for other mail-related settings, too. For example, I get cpop mail folders and I don't know what the heck they're for (Cpanel POP mail, Google tells me.) Most of this predates RC and MyRC but it's just coming to light because I want to clean up the maildirs before I roll my users over.

~J