Author Topic: Beginer Questions  (Read 3243 times)

Offline cngordon

Beginer Questions
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:15:54 PM »
I love the looks of Roundcube and would like to try it out on my mailserver(s).

I was not able to find a good document really outlining the requirements for this software.

Please let me know if the following are true:

1. Roundcube installs on the mailserver, no install required at the client end.

2. Roundcude requires an SQL database (such as MySQL) to store user info, config info, etc, but the users mail can still be in an /Maildir format, no mbox, or sql storage required.

3. Roundcube is not a mailserver, simply a web based interface to the existing IMAP authenticated folders.  Installing RoundCube would not affect my existing Postfix/Dovecot installation/configuration.  This would be similar to squirrelmail in basic functionality, but with a nice interface.

4. People using IMAP clients such as Thunderbird could continue to do that, as well as have the Roundcube interface when out of office, etc.

5. Roundcube does sasl-imap authentication for users, rather than storing seperate passwords in an additional database.

Thanks in advance
Cal Gordon

Offline corbosman

Beginer Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »

1. Roundcube installs on the mailserver, no install required at the client end.

It can be installed on any server. Doesnt have to be the mailserver, but can be.

2. Roundcude requires an SQL database (such as MySQL) to store user info, config info, etc, but the users mail can still be in an /Maildir format, no mbox, or sql storage required.

Roundcube just talks to your imap server, so whatever your imap server (dovecot) does is fine. So yes, Maildir format works.

3. Roundcube is not a mailserver, simply a web based interface to the existing IMAP authenticated folders.  Installing RoundCube would not affect my existing Postfix/Dovecot installation/configuration.  This would be similar to squirrelmail in basic functionality, but with a nice interface.

Correct.

4. People using IMAP clients such as Thunderbird could continue to do that, as well as have the Roundcube interface when out of office, etc.

Correct.

5. Roundcube does sasl-imap authentication for users, rather than storing seperate passwords in an additional database.

RC does not store passwords permanently. It uses the password the user provides to login to the IMAP server. Once the user logs out, the password is forgotten.

Cor

Offline cngordon

Beginer Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:33:49 PM »
Thanks for the prompt reply, even if i did go on Holidays for a week before i saw it.  Sounds like a nice solution.

Cal G