Author Topic: New install - close but not working  (Read 3317 times)

Offline MikeKay

New install - close but not working
« on: June 18, 2009, 01:54:16 PM »
Greetings.

My mail server is hMail Server. I have IMAP enabled. POP on the email server was working fine.

I am looking at the create config page. Under general configuration all is set to default. Logging and Debugging set to defaults. Database is set properly - not getting any errors. I am not sure if I am setting up IMAP properly.

Default host - left blank - this should show me a textbox at login
default port - 143 - this port is port forwarded on my firewall
user domain - set to my domain
Auto create user - is checked
Rest set to defaults

SMTP Settings
smtp_server - I have tried everthing here from localhost, to sever name, to mail.mydomain.ca.  Nothing has worked yet - see further for error message.
port - 25
smtp_user/smtp_pass - left blank

Ok, so I hit update config.  Download and save main.inc.php and db.inc.php to the proper directory then hit continue.
I get no error messages.  Everything appears correct.

When I either Send Test Message or Test IMAP config I get the following:

Connecting to mail.domainname.ca....
WARNING: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to mail.domainname.ca:143 (A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.) in c:\roundcube-0.2.2\program\lib\imap.inc on line 617
IMAP connect: NOT OK (could not connect to mail.domainname.ca at port 143: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because host has failed to respond.

Ok, I know why it's failing, but not how to fix it. I have tired localhost, the IP address of the box, the server name and the domain name as above.

Any help most appreciated. I feel like I am missing something really simple.

Thanks.

Offline MikeKay

POP ok, IMAP not
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 03:12:19 PM »
The pop part of the server is working.  I can get emails from the email server via pop, but I cannot seem to get IMAP happening.  Really need some help here.

Thanks.

Offline rosali

New install - close but not working
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:51:34 AM »
Looks like either ports are blocked by firewall or you have an insufficient IP-Range definition in hMailServer.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:47:47 AM by rosali »
Regards,
Rosali

Offline MikeKay

blocked port
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 08:32:07 AM »
Greetings.  It was a blocked port causing the problem.  It fooled me because I had allowed traffic through the firewall - and the Windoze firewall on the server was turned off. Not good enough. I had to set a rule to allow traffic on that port explicitly - even with the firewall off.