Author Topic: addressbook  (Read 3293 times)

Offline corbosman

addressbook
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:19:32 AM »
Hi all, im a little confused by roundcube's addressbook.

What exactly is the difference between 'Display name' and First and Last name? It seems that First/Last are never used. Display name is used to fill in the To line in compose. It's kind of strange that this field is compulsory, as it shouldnt be compulsory to add anything but the email address to the To line.

Anyone have any insights on this?

Cor

Offline Julius Caesar

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.de-keizer.net/
addressbook
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 05:13:33 AM »
Quote from: corbosman;20071
Hi all, im a little confused by roundcube's addressbook.

What exactly is the difference between 'Display name' and First and Last name? It seems that First/Last are never used. Display name is used to fill in the To line in compose. It's kind of strange that this field is compulsory, as it shouldnt be compulsory to add anything but the email address to the To line.

Anyone have any insights on this?

As far as I can see it, the 'Display name' is used to show the user in the namelist in the addressbook.
Julius Caesar

You can download the Groupvice4 theme here.
Sie können Groupvice4 hier he

Offline corbosman

addressbook
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 09:38:10 AM »
It is also used to fill out the real name in the compose window. So every email will be like this:

To: DISPLAY NAME

Since display name is mandatory in the addressbook, this makes RC always add the display name to the email address if you use the addressbook. It shouldnt have to be mandatory in the compose window.

And what use is First/Last name then? Just informational?

Still confused :)

Cor

Offline Julius Caesar

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.de-keizer.net/
addressbook
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 10:11:40 AM »
Quote from: corbosman;20077
It is also used to fill out the real name in the compose window. So every email will be like this:

To: DISPLAY NAME

Since display name is mandatory in the addressbook, this makes RC always add the display name to the email address if you use the addressbook. It shouldnt have to be mandatory in the compose window.

It isn't mandatory in the compose window, if you use an address which is not in your address book. I don't have another webmail client around, but when I want to add an entry to my groupwise address book, a Display Name is required.

Quote from: corbosman;20077
And what use is First/Last name then? Just informational? Still confused :)

Yes, just as any additional field someone might have added. I.E. I use a LDAP addressbook and have several extra fields in it like address, city, phone number, mobile.
Julius Caesar

You can download the Groupvice4 theme here.
Sie können Groupvice4 hier he