Author Topic: Transfer the mail from one server to another  (Read 5175 times)

Offline fxandrei

Transfer the mail from one server to another
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:44:09 AM »
Hy there.
First of all i want to say that roundcube mail is pretty nice, and i want to use it from now on as well.

The thing is that im having problems with my server and i want to transfer the all the mail i now have to another server.
How can i do that?
Can someone help me with instructions or a link to somewhere.
It would be really nice to be able to transfer all the mail and the users.
Cuz if not, it will be a lot of trouble.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:40:35 AM »
Roundcube only reads mail from the mail server it doesn't keep the mail itself you would need to backup the mail server and transfer it to the new server. Ever server configuration is different, are you using a shared server and are you using a control panel if you are witch one?

Offline adanker

Server mail move
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:19:33 AM »
My client is moving from "SoftLayer" to Dreamhost (times are tough and their cheaper). The server they are on has had RoundCube installed and working great for a number of years.  I believe the server admin installed RoundCube pre-packaged by CPanel.

From what I am reading here in the forums for my client to still see the same mail on the new server I would need to marry up the mail server's directory contents for the new user account on the other end?  Sounds like it can be done, but a bit involved.  Has anyone some "tutorial or instructions" on getting this accomplished? I maybe able to acquire root access on server 1 (softlayer).

Thanks in advance!
Aaron

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
Moving between different systems like that is going to be hard, I don't know exactly how DreamHost's system is setup but I do know that they use different servers for the email, database, and web server so I don't know how much access you will have to the mail directory. There is no real tutorials or instructions for moving email between servers because it deepens on how the servers are setup. I would first try DreamHost's "cPanel Importer" I don't know if it moves emails but it would be a lot simpler so its worth a try. Out of curiosity are you currently on a Dedicated server or SoftLayer Cloud Service?

Offline adanker

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
skaero,

Thanks very much for the tip, I did not know that Dreamhost offered this application.  My first 5 attempts did not work well at all, but then Dreamhost support emailed me and enacted an old script that allowed a direct ftp transfer of the backup from CPanel...worked great (email, website data, and mysql databases/users). I say that it worked great, but I have yet to make the DNS switch.:o I will post a follow-up to this thread when I get RoundCube setup and working correctly on Dreamhost, hopefully have the connection made to the account that was moved over and they should have all of their sub-folders I hope too!

Also, Softlayer (dedicated) I used to be the admin and then farmed it off to a guy in IL! It's a good company, great support and very efficient!

Aaron