Author Topic: Server side sorting?  (Read 5148 times)

Offline rabbie

Server side sorting?
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:23:23 AM »
Sometimes I receive spam emails and they appear half way down my inbox for some reason. Somehow, the date on the spam emails apear to be way in the past... I am guessing the server that the spammer is using has the incorrect time set on it.

I know squirrelmail has an option to set Server Side Sort so that the date is sorted by when my mail server received the message, and not by the time it was sent... It would be cool if we could have this feature in RoundCube.

Offline kali

Re: Server side sorting?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 02:22:47 PM »
Just FYI --- the option in Squirrel to have "Server Side Sort" refers to the apps ability to use the imap server's "SORT" capability (if it exists). Otherwise, the webmail app needs to download all headers, sort them, then display recent ones (which can be very slow). Using "server side sort", you simply ask the imap server to sort the folder and give you most recent headers. MUCH faster.

Some clients give you the option of displaying (sorting) by received date or by sent date. But not all.... many just use the internal date header (which spammers take advantage of).

reefnet

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 02:46:33 AM »
So I take it Roundcube doesn't allow server-side sorting via SORT? Any plans to add that?

Offline Arabian

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 06:43:10 PM »
server-side sorting via SORT is great feature, I would like to see it in RoundCube :)

Offline lilewian

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 10:17:46 AM »
hi,

is here any development in progress?
I've mailbox folders with >3000 messages and with RC it's really slow (15-20 sec.) to open and browse such folder.

Thanks for RC!

Andi

Offline jpingle

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 02:40:18 PM »
RC does use server side sorting on servers that support it, however I'm not sure sorting is your problem.

There have been reports of slow loading mailboxes for other reasons - check the trouble ticket database for more examples.