Author Topic: Is Internet Explorer 6 really Supported???  (Read 5231 times)

Offline nwrcube

Is Internet Explorer 6 really Supported???
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:45:20 PM »
I'm in the process of evaluating RoundCube (version 0.3.1) as a replacement for our current web mail client.  On of the reasons we are looking at roundcube is that it states one of its "Tested Browsers" is IE6, which I took to mean RC works correctly in IE6.  When I tried RC in IE6 it does not function correctly.  It gets past the login fine, but initial page stops with an error.
Line 97, Char 1, object expected.
Basically it is unusable.  However, RC works fine in IE8 and FF 3.5.

So, the question is, Is Internet Explorer 6 really Supported?

Now, I realize some people are going to say IE6 is an old outdated browser and I could not agree more.  However IE6 is still the standard for a number of companies and customers…  Wikipedia/Net Applications estimates as of Jan 2010, IE6 still has a 20% market share of all browsers…  Only IE 8 has a higher market share.

Offline toetag

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 11:38:46 PM »
I'll have to test tomorrow.  I could swear that most of my usage with roundcube and IE has been with IE6.  Unless i'm on a server level OS that comes with IE7 or higher, I don't load IE updates.  Most of my desktops have XP and the default install of IE.

(first thing I do is load FF :) )
<[ a desert to an irishman is an empty glass. ]>

Offline nwrcube

More info on the problem...
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 12:10:29 AM »
I did a little more digging.  It definitely works fine on IE7 and on IE8.  And eventually I got it to work on IE6.

If I go directly into roundcube, the first time, it does not work.  I close the browser and try again, same result.

However, if I go into roundcube and keep the broken page up and press the refresh button, the roundcube screen renders correctly.  So, it has to something to do with the initial build of the page.

If I exit IE6 now and go back into IE6 and go to roundcube, everything works fine.  However, if I delete the IE6 cache and then go back in, the same problem occurs.

I have attached screen shots of the results.

What ever is causing the problem really flakes IE6 out, because it won't even let me view the source once it encounters the error.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:47:53 PM by nwrcube »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 12:45:19 AM »
Its working for me, have you tried the SVN?

Offline nwrcube

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:50:53 PM »
I haven't used the SVN, on the current release.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:32:21 AM »
Try the SVN, there was a large JavaScript update.

Offline nwrcube

No luck with SVN r3241
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
I loaded SVN r3241 and had the same results.

It appears to be happening with the following line:

As noted before, the error seems to occur when you first use RoundCube.  If you refresh the broken screen, everything displays correctly.  It appears to happen to every page: Inbox, setting, address book, compose email, etc.  If you refresh on each page, then that page works correctly from that point forward.

Offline nwrcube

The html that the error appears to occur in...
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 05:10:18 PM »
I have attached the HTML from when it works correctly.  That file is unavailable when it does not work.

Offline nwrcube

Problem appears to be external js files are not loading at the right time
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 01:59:04 PM »
I installed a debugger for IE6 and I was able to determine that the issue is occuring in /rc/skins/default/templates/mail.html on line 33

It appears that IE6 has not loaded external js files necessary to execute the functions in the javascript.

According to the debugger, the following JS are missing from memory:
splitter.js
functions.js
list.js

If you perform a refresh on the errored pages, the JS file then get loaded.  Attached on screen shot of error and javascript debugger results showing the loaded javascript files.

This error occurs on any page that has similar code (message.html, settings.html, addressbook.html).

Thanks
Brad

Offline dennylin93

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 04:18:49 AM »
This is a known issue. I'm guessing that your JS files are being served gzipped. IE6 doesn't handle gzipped JS correctly, so try turning it off.

There's a lot of info about this on the Internet.

Offline nwrcube

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 01:15:42 PM »
Thanks!!!  I turned off compression of Javascript and that did indeed resolve the problem.  I had never heard of this issue before.  I have been using JS compression for several years with no problems, but I was only using 1 external JS file.  It must occur when you are using multiple files.  

Thanks again for the information!!