Author Topic: Tutorials?  (Read 9151 times)

Offline Lakestone

Tutorials?
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:44:42 AM »
Hi there, I'm very new to RoundCube and things related to it. I like it much already though and would like to make my own plugin. I've searched around a lot and read through code of different plugins, and right now it all feels very blurry to me. I'd love to read some kind of tutorial, how to make a simple plugin so I get get a grip on it.

These are the pages I've been reading at so far:
Dev_Docs ? Roundcube Webmail
Dev_PHPCommons ? Roundcube Webmail
RoundCube Classes
Plugin_Hooks ? Roundcube Webmail
Plugin_Repository ? Roundcube Webmail

Are there any guides out there? Or do I have to guess my way to success?

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:25:05 AM »

Offline Lakestone

Tutorials?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 08:55:13 AM »
Quote from: skaero;25136
Yes check out Doc_Plugins ? Roundcube Webmail

Hi Skaero,

That is one of the pages I've been reading at, and it only explains very briefly about how to create the controller (for what I understand), and very little about templates. What about suitable javascript code? What about all the built-in functions in the PHP framework, are there any examples how to use some of them to achieve different things?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:58:04 AM by Lakestone »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
Tutorials?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:45:42 AM »
You can use all of PHP's built in functions in RoundCube, you can read about them at http://www.php.net/manual/en/ you can also use any JavaScript in RoundCube I recommend use jQuery because RoundCube already uses it. The theme documentation hasn't been made yet, the best way to learn about it is to look at other plugins.

Offline Lakestone

Tutorials?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:37:10 AM »
Quote from: skaero;25191
You can use all of PHP's built in functions in RoundCube, you can read about them at PHP: PHP Manual - Manual you can also use any JavaScript in RoundCube I recommend use jQuery because RoundCube already uses it. The theme documentation hasn't been made yet, the best way to learn about it is to look at other plugins.

By PHP functions, I actually meant Roundcube's own classes/functions like e g html_inputfield and get_input_value. Sure, there's an API, but no real examples on how to use any of it. If you're developing under a "framework", you want to follow it, otherwise it will look like you write poor code. Right now I'm using my own database class to manage things cause I cannot find information on how to use Roundcube's own.

I'm also looking for information about handling the $args['blocks'], which types it supports e t c. I'm writing a small plugin to be displayed in the user preferences and I really find it cumbersome to use somewhat complex PHP-classes to get a simple HTML written out. A tutorial on this would be invaluable for someone like me!

Thanks for the support so far though!

Offline flattery

Tutorials?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 08:36:44 AM »
I agree.  I have been programming for over 10 years, but when I try to use the roundcube API to create plug-ins I find it hard to navigate around it.

If there were some good "SAMPLE" plug-ins that show how to use it as well as some good documentation that would be highly beneficial for this project.

Another odd thing is on roundcube.net home page I can't even find a link to the plug-ins.  I always have to search Google to find them.