Author Topic: shared host install  (Read 3688 times)

Offline dexi

shared host install
« on: March 30, 2010, 05:36:16 PM »
Hi
 I would like to clear up a discusion we are having with our host provider. We are on a shared hosting service with cpanel and no root access. I have successfully installed roundcube and used it but the hosting provider asked us to remove it.

Does roundcube need root access in its basic form?

I believe from reading the forum that root access would be required to add it to cpanel. Will it still run securely without being part of Cpanel and without root access?

Is there a work around for the Cpanel webmail shortcuts? Ie disable Horde/sqiurell.

It just that some people have been running roundcube successfully for years on their shared host yet all I have met is a brickwall when it comes to my install.

Cheers
Dexi

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
shared host install
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »
Does roundcube need root access in its basic form?

No RoundCube doesn't need root access, its just a mail client that connects to the server to get your mail like Thunderbird (witch also doesn't need root access)

I believe from reading the forum that root access would be required to add it to cpanel.

If you wanted RoundCube to be part of CPanel (like in the web mail options) you would need root access.

Will it still run securely without being part of Cpanel and without root access?

Yes, RoundCube was not designed to be part of CPanel or need root access.

Is there a work around for the Cpanel webmail shortcuts? Ie disable Horde/sqiurell.

What do you mean disable Horde and Squirrelmail? They are webmail clients just like RoundCube and they should all run peacefully next to RoundCube, However if you have root access you could disable them if you wanted to.

It just that some people have been running roundcube successfully for years on their shared host yet all I have met is a brickwall when it comes to my install.

RoundCube should run find on any shared host that met the requirements http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Howto_Requirements what problems are you having with RoundCube?

MattSassy

shared host install
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:02:09 PM »
Re: Good FREE Webmail Hosting and Domain

I use RoundCube for my webmail hosting, but I also use BlueHost for my website hosting and it comes with free webmail hosting. It's a good addition to Roundcube.

Actually, no matter what sort of website you are going to create, whether it’s a blog, niche site, or whatever, I recommend using BlueHost to register your domain and host your website.

There are others available that are just as good, but I’ve used Bluehost since the beginning and they’ve always been extremely reliable for me. And, whenever I have any questions, their live chat is always quick to answer and offer a solution.

Plus, you'll be able to have unlimited websites hosted through them for only about $7. I now have 8 different sites hosted through BlueHost and I am going to continue to add a lot more websites through them.

(HostGator is also good, but their control board is much less user-friendly in my opinion.)

Here are the simple reasons why I continue to use BlueHost:
• Cheap hosting (about $7)
• Unlimited domains
• Unlimited GB space
• Unlimited GB bandwidth transfer
• Unlimited e-mail accounts
• Free domain along with your hosting
• Quick and friendly support

If you wanna save a few bucks, you can check out their current discounts and promotional rates here:
Web hosting provider - Bluehost.com