Author Topic: Originating IP questions  (Read 4665 times)

Offline stephanhughson

Originating IP questions
« on: June 08, 2010, 07:07:27 AM »
Hi,

When I send e-mail, the IP address of my Internet connection is put in the headers.

For example:

Received: from my.host.name.com [213.xxx.xxx.xxx]
   with HTTP/1.1 (POST); Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:35:15 +0000

However, I am running into issues with a couple of my users who have dodgy ISPs and are on dynamic IP addresses. They are getting penalised by people's spam filters for not having reverse DNS and in some cases, being on blacklists (not their fault, it's dynamic IP ranges).

Is it possible to make the Received have the IP address of the webmail server? It still gives accountability for sending e-mails, but has valid reverse DNS, is not blacklisted (well shouldn't be!) and they're not going to end up in junk folders that way.

I would still like to have the originating IP in the header, but as an X-Originating-IP type of header instead, as it's important to be able to trace these things back easily.

Am I missing something simple here? I feel like I am!
I have tried getting Roundcube to send via PHP and via localhost, it doesn't make a difference.

Thanks for your help.

Offline stephanhughson

Originating IP questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 09:32:14 AM »
Sorry, I think this should actually be in "Release support". Could it be moved please?

Offline stephanhughson

Originating IP questions
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 09:40:55 AM »
I've found the solution. I was missing something - I knew it :-D.

In the config file:

// add a received header to outgoing mails containing the creators IP and hostname
$rcmail_config['http_received_header'] = false;

I had set that to true.