Author Topic: Looking for a decent step by step  (Read 3474 times)

Offline brb

Looking for a decent step by step
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:50:42 AM »
For all those Noobs and Novices out there maybe you like me need some help!!!!

Because for the life of me I cannot find decent documentation for installing and configuring RoundCube. There is no real (official) documentation at Roundcube - Free webmail for the masses just a link to a wiki info site.

This is more a plea than anything else!!! If someone could point me in the direction of a good guide it would be much appreciated and maybe just maybe one of the RoundCube pros could put a quick step by step together.

Running Windows Server 2008 R2, hMailServer, PHP 5.2.13 with PECL extension 5.2.6 with Fast CGI enabled. To my knowledge is everything set up correctly including all the prerequisites in PHP for RoundCube. The whole system is set up in a virtual environment and did one snapshot of a manual install of PHP and a second one using the Microsoft Web Platform. Just an idea not sure of this is even legal but with a lot of us working in virtual environments is there no way someone would be able to take a snapshot .tib and make it available???

Getting pointed in the right direction would be much appreciated because i still want to understand the whole system.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:00:49 AM by brb »

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 05:18:28 AM »
Here is a link to the install documentation http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Howto_Install

Offline brb

Well yea that is my point.....
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:56:05 AM »
We are talking class one Noob here..... read those directions from the perspective of someone who has never used RoundCube before and then finds out they have to install the program using very very simplified directions..... They are not what i would call Novice certified;D.....

Offline rosali

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:05:14 AM »
Please do not consider it as rude, but Roundcube is nothing for Noobs. Roundcube is not a stand alone application. You can't compare it with desktop applications like Thunderbird or Outlook. Roundcube requires a working PHP based web server, working email services and a database backend. So you need at least basic knowledges in Webservice and Database Administration. If you had these knowledges you would understand the "How to install Wiki".
Regards,
Rosali

Offline brb

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 04:00:32 AM »
yea we all see that..... it doesn't mean there are not people out there that still want to be able to wrap their heads around new programs.... I still get the impression that a lot of people out there are interested in the idea of having their own Mailserver and what you have basically said to me is that RoundCube is not a very accessible program for the what I would consider the above average user.... Sure there is a lot of PHP config and what not and many parts of the program that I for one do not understand at a first glance but thats a really crappy mentality.... What is the point of having an online community when its only meant for people who are experienced Web Administrators.... For all the other parts of the system from hMailServer, the PHP config all the information was there!!! and then looking at the RoundCube instructions was like having to read between the lines..... the most useful information I found for installing RoundCube was in one of the hMailForums!!!  

The whole point of opensource is to make it accessible to everyone, you on the other hand just did the opposite.... I was not asking if there was a guide out there I was asking if there was a kick *** guide out there....

Offline qnrq

• http://pipemail.org/
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 03:40:53 AM »
There is no "simple guide" that the development team could provide on the matter of installing Roundcube besides "INSTALL" which comes with the tarball. There have been numerous books and guides written on how to install and administrate web, mail and database servers. The information is available and claiming otherwise would be absurd.

Your problem seems to be that it's not the Roundcube developers that wrote the available documentation. That doesn't affect the accessibility of the software. You do have the source code downloaded and the freedom to basically do anything you want with it, don't you?

Offline corbosman

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 04:25:30 AM »
To put it simply. Roundcube assumes a basic knowledge of server administration. Not a very high level of knowledge, but enough to understand certain terms and actions.

There are countless documents or books that will bring a novice to the level to understand this basic knowledge. It is not up to roundcube to provide this, and it isnt necessary knowing how many resources already exist for this purpose.

Hope you get it sorted out, RC is really quite nice once you get it up and running.