Author Topic: OpenBSD package install  (Read 2862 times)

Offline brian228

OpenBSD package install
« on: November 19, 2010, 04:42:48 PM »
We are currently running OpenBSD, postfix, Dovecot IMAP, Popa3d, and SquirrelMail. Barracuda looks after the spam. All of our clients run Outlook 2007, with the excption of 12 macbooks we have in service. Everything works fine and requires very little maintance. I like it and it is free and flexable, but I am getting some complaints about SquirrelMail. I don't know why? It works perfect. It would seem most of the users that don't like SquirrelMail were exchange users, OWA, and they are pushing hard to get it in here. I need to do something before they get their way. I would like to use OpenBSD,postfix over Server2008, exchange. Our cost for Exchange would be  $15,000 + cdn.They allready have the Outlook shared calenders through webdev server so that end has been looked after.

Before I install the  OpenBSD roundcube package I would like some feedback. First of all I have never used Roundcube. Is it enough of an improvement over SquirrelMail to make it worth doing ? What can it do that SquirrelMail cannot? Has anyone installed from OpenBSD packages? I could do the install without using packages but everything works so well using packages Iwould like to go that route. Mysql and php and apache are allready installed.  Last of all has anyone migrated exchange users to Roundcube and what was the feeddback from most ofthe users? Thanks for any responces.

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
OpenBSD package install
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:20:43 AM »
I have had to use exchange before and I HATE it, but that really comes down to personal preference. The real difference between SquirrelMail and RoundCube is the UI. RoundCube uses Ajax where as SquirrelMail looks like it was designed in 1999. I'd recommend installing RoundCube and trying it out, you could offer your user a choice and see which they like better.