Author Topic: newb question -Applying Config Changes  (Read 2277 times)

Offline James A

newb question -Applying Config Changes
« on: December 16, 2010, 05:24:56 AM »
Sorry to ask a really dumb question. I have inherited a couple of Linux mail servers running roundcube and am fairly new to the whole thing.

The webmail is running slowly on some IMAP accounts (about 15 seconds to change pages on a sent box containing 1200 messages) so I read through the HowTo-Performance and want to try a couple of things, switching off caching etc, to see if anything improves things dramatically before looking elsewhere.

The only issue is once I have made a change the main.inc.php file how do I get the change to apply? Do I have to restart the service or does it simply apply after saving or is it as simple as relogging in after refreshing my web browser?

The servers are running live hence I want to know what I'm doing before charging in there. I've no problem making a change and then changing it back again, just want to avoid unnecessary downtime.

Thanks for any help, just please keep the abuse down for such a stupid question.

Offline Julius Caesar

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.de-keizer.net/
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:22:36 AM »
The configuration is applied 'on-the-fly'. A reload (or opening another item) is sufficient.
Julius Caesar

You can download the Groupvice4 theme here.
Sie können Groupvice4 hier he

Offline alec

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 09:52:38 AM »
However, when you change options from user preferences, users settings will be not overwritten. To do this you'll need to change them in database or at least to clean them (using SQL query).

Offline James A

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 11:49:42 AM »
Thanks for your help, just to check if I have made a change then to the Caching setting, as in switched it off, and see no difference in speed then that would suggest it hasn't helped. Alternatively might I have to wait for my Caching database to reduce in size if that was the cause or would the cached data immediately be cleared if caching was turned off.
Sorry for the ignorance.