Author Topic: From field name substitution anomaly  (Read 634 times)

Offline nauved

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
From field name substitution anomaly
« on: March 21, 2019, 01:55:01 AM »
I am an end-user that has been using roundcube for many years in numerous unrelated instances and have never seen this weirdness before.  Here's what's happening:

For the last several weeks a name in the From field will sometimes be replaced by a random unrelated word.  The same random word seems to be be "attached" to that user because it is always the same word but it comes and goes.  This has only happened to two members on a mailing list and the words that have popped up are "sour" and "Evolved". 

It looks like Roundcube Webmail 1.2.3 is installed plus these plugins:
filesystem_attachments 1.0
jqueryui 1.10.4
password 4.3

Has anyone reported this before?  And is there a fix for it?  It's not critical but it would be really annoying to have to remember which user is attached to which word if more of these substitutions pop up.



Offline SKaero

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5,533
    • http://SKaero.com/
Re: From field name substitution anomaly
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 06:32:53 PM »
Not something I've hard of before, if you inspect the raw message does the name show up there as well?

Offline nauved

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: From field name substitution anomaly
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:33:07 PM »
Not something I've hard of before, if you inspect the raw message does the name show up there as well?
I didn't think to do that but will if/when it happens again and then post here.  Thanks for responding.

Offline nauved

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
Re: From field name substitution anomaly
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 12:51:03 PM »
I have observed this again today.  The same random word is appearing for each respective user.  Previously I said they were both on a mail list.  This was my faulty memory.  One came via a Mailman list and the other as a personal email directly to me.  The headers have the correct identification for both.  Now I see another one from mailman "stanz" is being printed as "dance" in the From field.

I just had a thought . . . I read email to this address on chromium and use the google translate function daily because I deal with users from all over the world who communicate in their native language.  I wonder if there isn't some residual translation happening even though it was not requested at that time.

Hahaha!  That seems to be it.  I just put one users name in google translate and the "random" word was indeed the translation.  Same for #2 but not the one I just now noticed.

Maybe the translation function needs to be limited to the "read" field and not touch other fields.  Have no idea whether that is a roundcube or google translate issue but I'm sure you do.  Good luck sorting it out!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 03:11:14 PM by nauved »