Author Topic: The New MobileMe "MobileCube"  (Read 137786 times)

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
The New MobileMe "MobileCube"
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 04:19:33 PM »
I would go with Login 3 for our organization. Very clean, and easy to personalize by replacing the MobileCube logo with the organization logo.

Also, it seems to me (although I admit I'm not a lawyer) that the notice that Apple owns the icons is a tacit admission that the theme uses them without permission. None of the remaining icons scream "Apple" so if it were me I'd drop that notice entirely.
Arne Berglund
SysAdmin, Internet Services
Lane Education Service District
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline phireware

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 05:20:47 PM »
Quote from: ABerglund;24294
I would go with Login 3 for our organization. Very clean, and easy to personalize by replacing the MobileCube logo with the organization logo.

Also, it seems to me (although I admit I'm not a lawyer) that the notice that Apple owns the icons is a tacit admission that the theme uses them without permission. None of the remaining icons scream "Apple" so if it were me I'd drop that notice entirely.

That's what I figured. Login 3 seems the most simple and Clean. The other two I put as more busy looking login screens and then simplified it from one, back down to three. With the Apple notice, I can take it away off of the login screen and maybe make a mention of it in the settings area on that right panel that displays the theme version number? Just a thought. Well now we have the login screen done, time for more features. I've had a pretty slow day so coding this is been easy today with so much free time.

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 05:58:40 PM »
Quote from: phireware;24295
With the Apple notice, I can take it away off of the login screen and maybe make a mention of it in the settings area on that right panel that displays the theme version number?
FWIW - if I were to use this theme in production, I would end up hunting down the Apple notice and removing it entirely, regardless of where it ends up. IMO, it's not necessary at all in this theme, and would just confuse the end users.

Quote from: phireware;24295
Well now we have the login screen done, time for more features. I've had a pretty slow day so coding this is been easy today with so much free time.
I'd tackle the quick and easy things first, get them off the plate. Things like the logout button, or the Forwarded message indicators.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:11:39 PM by ABerglund »
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline phireware

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 06:20:07 PM »
Quote from: ABerglund;24296
FWIW - if I were to use this theme in production, I would end up hunting down the Apple notice and removing it entirely, regardless of where it ends up. IMO, it's not necessary at all in this theme, and would just confuse the end users.

I'd tackle the quick and easy things first, get them off the plate. Things like the logout button, or the Forwarded message indicators.

Alright, I'll fix that. I fixed the login, and I can fix the logout button really easy. I'm actually starting to work on the dropdown menus as well because I think they would become useful as well

Offline phireware

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
So I've fixed a few more things now. I fixed the logout button, and the disk status bar. Or whatever you want to call it. I put the menu's in but they don't look very good right now. Kind of ugly, but I attached pictures. I did the best I could as some of the objects would NOT follow my CSS rules.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:02:42 PM by phireware »

Offline DClark

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »
Hi I think your themes not bad, the only major critism I've got is it is quite a big download for a theme over 30MB.

So I've optimised all the picture files for web display, this will be a big benefit when alot of people access webmail using this theme on the one server, as bandwidth will be used up alot less. Granted it wouldn't matter as much if the server is accessed from a local network, but will matter if being accessed over the internet.

Also I couldn't help myself and I've changed the unfocused colour on the mail message screen for the " messagelist tr.unfocused td " to a light grey more in keeping with the theme than the tangerine orange used before.
Also changed same thing on the address screen "contacts-table tr.unfocused td".

Both things are altered in their repective css files, if you don't like it don't use it.

Regarding the login screen, I've looked at your 3 choices, although option 3 is the favourite ( a bit boring ), you could use option 2 it would work better by getting rid of the grey box that the login controls reside and having all the text and login boxes sit properly within the cloud image (might give the login page a fun element).
option 1 is too crowded with the icons either side.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:39:53 PM by DClark »

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 04:41:29 PM »
Quote from: phireware;24338
So I've fixed a few more things now. I fixed the logout button, and the disk status bar. Or whatever you want to call it. I put the menu's in but they don't look very good right now. Kind of ugly, but I attached pictures. I did the best I could as some of the objects would NOT follow my CSS rules.
The menu tools look like a good start. Logout button is probably OK as well. I guess what I had in mind for that was the original button, but with the 'Off' icon in a brighter, easier to locate color. But the text version works too.

Quote from: DClark;24342
So I've optimised all the picture files for web display, this will be a big benefit when alot of people access webmail using this theme on the one server, as bandwidth will be used up alot less.
That's a BIG help. Great work!

Quote from: DClark;24342
Also I couldn't help myself and I've changed the unfocused colour on the mail message screen for the " messagelist tr.unfocused td " to a light grey more in keeping with the theme than the tangerine orange used before.

Also changed same thing on the address screen "contacts-table tr.unfocused td".
Also good. Less jarring to the eyes.

Definitely making some headway on this.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline phireware

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2009, 04:54:01 PM »
Quote from: ABerglund;24343
The menu tools look like a good start. Logout button is probably OK as well. I guess what I had in mind for that was the original button, but with the 'Off' icon in a brighter, easier to locate color. But the text version works too.

I'll switch it back to the button. I preferred the button myself, but I thought you meant text. So that will be switched back and have the power icon a little brighter?

DClark, you are very right on size. I never noticed it until the other day when I looked at it and I was shocked at the size for just some text and images. I downloaded your web optimized version and I'll put it up as version 2.2.0? For such a huge reduction in size, plus some changes I think that 2.2.0 would be a fair version number!

I can make one with just the cloud for the login to see how it looks. I'll post the picture up when I'm done. Anything else that needs to be touched in this theme to make it better? Other than the problems we already have listed, which are quite helpful ABerglund! Login is quite boring I think though, maybe a nice style image in the background? A wave of light across the background? Wouldn't fit the theme much would it? :) Great work guys!

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2009, 05:23:33 PM »
Quote from: phireware;24344
I'll switch it back to the button. I preferred the button myself, but I thought you meant text. So that will be switched back and have the power icon a little brighter?
Brighter, or even some color. Red maybe?
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline phireware

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2009, 05:39:48 PM »
Ok, I'll fix the button. Another thing I started doing was I compressed the MobileCube 2.2.0 down to 770kb .zip file and when you decompress it, it only takes up 1.2mb of space! I did nothing to DClarks 2.1.2 fix except rename it to 2.2.0 and compress it. So it is MUCH smaller now. I just hope nothing changed in quality, so as I have slow internet at the moment, could someone try out the 2.2.0beta and tell me if everything runs ok?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 01:28:21 PM by phireware »

Offline ABerglund

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 06:18:55 PM »
2.2.0 beta appears to look identical to 2.1.2. I can find no problems due to the compression.
Arne Berglund
Eugene, OR, USA

Offline phireware

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Quote from: ABerglund;24349
2.2.0 beta appears to look identical to 2.1.2. I can find no problems due to the compression.

Thanks, I released 2.2.0 due to heavy compression and message highlight color change.

Offline phireware

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »
Quote from: ABerglund;24287
I've spent a little time using the 2.1.1 version on svn 3088, and while I really want to like it, there are too many issues standing in the way for us to adopt it in my organization. We have been looking for a cleaner, more intuitive skin for RC 3.1 for our users, and this looks good at first look but still needs a lot of work under the hood. I've attached some screenshots from the default theme to illustrate some of the points listed below.

• Fixed - Login/logout page needs to be MUCH more generic or original. Despite the recent cleanup, it still looks like it has been ripped straight from Apple's website. That may work for a small private webmail system, but is a show-stopper for a commercial, public or education system.[/I]
  • Logout button is almost invisible. The skin does not have to copy the bad parts of the Apple service it is patterned after, if something can be made better it should be.
  • The skin must add support to expand and collapse nested folders.
  • The single tool button that currently just does "Show source" needs to turn into a dropdown that incorporates both the message and tools choices from the default skin. (See the first and second attachments here, as well as the third attachment in the next message.
  • Fixed - Message flagging needs work.[/I]
  • There is an indicator for messages that have been replied to, but no indication for messages that have been forwarded. (See third attachment.)
  • The Select menu (All/Unread/Invert/None) and quota display are missing. (Fourth attachment.)
  • The Filter selector is missing, but we might be able to live without that. (Fifth attachment.)
  • The ability to select the search criteria is missing. (First attachment in next message.)
  • Plugin support is required. For us that includes 'contextmenu', sound_notifier', 'password' and 'vacation'. Note that some of these plugins may require hooks into the theme's CSS ('contextmenu' for example, compare the third and fourth attachments in the next message to the fifth from MobileCube), or possibly their own tab in the Preferences page (examples are 'password' and 'vacation', see second screenshot in next message.

As far as the list goes right now, the only two things that I have not fixed is "Plugin Support" and "Collapsable Folders". The plugin support you'll have to show me the plugins that you use and have you test them. My plugins don't install so I don't know what I did wrong. I'll play around with it though. The collapsable folders work but the button doesn't show up in the right spot and I can't really find a way to fix it at the moment. But I have a beta 3.0.0 version if you would like to download it and try it, PM me and I will send you the link to download it. I think having a second person test it will be better. Thanks!

Offline SKaero

• Administrator
    • SKaero - Custom Roundcube development
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »
Quote from: phireware;24359
As far as the list goes right now, the only two things that I have not fixed is "Plugin Support" and "Collapsable Folders". The plugin support you'll have to show me the plugins that you use and have you test them. My plugins don't install so I don't know what I did wrong. I'll play around with it though. The collapsable folders work but the button doesn't show up in the right spot and I can't really find a way to fix it at the moment. But I have a beta 3.0.0 version if you would like to download it and try it, PM me and I will send you the link to download it. I think having a second person test it will be better. Thanks!

You should upgrade to 0.3.1 the betas of 0.3 had very unstable plugin support.

Offline phireware

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
Quote from: skaero;24360
You should upgrade to 0.3.1 the betas of 0.3 had very unstable plugin support.

Oh no, I have 0.3.1 for RoundCube. I'm talking about beta 3.0.0 of the MobileCube theme.